Appellant's Brief

Neither Here Nor There

It's been one month and twenty-five days since I started my new job. The shift from being external counsel to an in-house lawyer wasn't all that bad. Sure, there were minor nuisances ...

Like when people just barge into my room to ask for a "legal" opinion. As external counsel, my clients always called to ask for an appointment.

Or like when I get called to meetings without any warning. I mean, six meetings in a day?

Anyhow, I think I'm getting the hang of it. I no longer look up from whatever it is I'm doing when someone knocks at my door. I count to ten before I acknowledge. I discovered that the higher people get up the corporate ladder, the faster they peep around my door. Senior managers tend to peek in just before I reach seven. Vice-presidents clear their throats less than three seconds after knocking.

I have also learned to restrain myself whenever someone says something stupid. Especially when that someone is higher up the food chain. Instead of saying, "Are you brain dead?" or "What the hell did you say?", I now say, "Hmmm?" or "Hmmm."

Pleaded by Appellant on Monday, June 26, 2006 @ 11:27 PM with 1 Objections