Appellant's Brief

The Love of Your Life

I have been a father for almost three years now - two and a half to Anton and a year to Gian. My three-year stint at fatherhood certainly does not qualify me as an expert. I guess you could say that I am a work in progress. Nevertheless, there are quite a few things that I have learned. Things that, though they may not be considered parenting breakthroughs, might prove to be helpful to other young fathers.

I have realized that it is really a challenge to express love and set limits at the same time. This is especially true when your kid tries to swing from the couch to the mini bar using your hair as rope.

A two and a half year old boy is smart enough to spot a contradiction when he hears one. So when Mommy says, "Answer me! Don't talk with food in your mouth!" in one breath, Daddy should quickly explain that Mommy has been in a lot of stress lately.

Calling someone "taho" is not polite, even if they do look like the magtataho.

Boys need hugs and kisses as much as girls do, but they usually need a shame-free zone to express this emotional need. I believe the sport of wrestling would be quite helpful if your son refuses a hug.

When your kid says, "I'm sorry, daddy. I didn't mean to," you're already too late.

There are ways to teach your son how to pronounce the letter "v" other than by saying "vagina". If you already did, be sure to bring a lollipop everywhere you go. This would be the quickest solution the moment your kid says "bagina ... bagina ... bagina" in a loud monotone while you are waiting for your turn in a grocery queue.

These observations are not meant to establish a rule. Nonetheless, they may, to a certain extent, provide a guide when you find yourselves in similar situations. Fatherhood is stressful. It is inconvenient at times. And of course, there will be frustration. I was in court when my lovely wife messaged me that we were going to have a boy. I could not contain my pride. I could not suppress my joy.

So the next time raising a boy appears to be too stressful, close your eyes and bring yourself back to the moment you first held your son. There can be no argument. He is, without a doubt, the love of your life.


Pleaded by Appellant on Monday, August 22, 2005 @ 6:53 PM with 2 Objections