Appellant's Brief

Pablo Neruda

I can write the saddest lines tonight.

Write for example: 'The night is fractured
and they shiver, blue, those stars in the distance'
...

I can write the saddest lines tonight.
I loved her, sometimes she loved me too.
...

I can write the saddest lines tonight.
To think I don't have her, to feel I have lost her.

What does it matter that I couldn't keep her.
The night is fractured and she is not with me.
...

I don't love her, that's certain, but perhaps I love her.
Love is brief: forgetting lasts so long.

Since on these nights, I held her in my arms,
my soul is not content to have lost her.

Though this is the last pain she will make me suffer,
and these are the last lines I will write for her.

Pleaded by Appellant on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 @ 11:11 PM with 0 Objections