Appellant's Brief

Law School

It's been six years since I graduated from law school. I certainly do not miss it. Being in law school is like being in love. Exhilarating at first, exhausting for the most part. It was, however, fun in a sadomasochistic sort of way.

I had to do some research a few days back. This gave me an opportunity to go back to the Rockwell Campus. As I was parking my car, I saw some law students having their yosi break near the building entrance. Things have certainly changed. You would not have witnessed such a scene six years ago. When I was in law school, we actually got to smoke inside the building.

Anyway, my visit prompted some memories of law school. Inexplicably, the memories concerned Atty. S, a professor who was known for his meanness and sarcasm. His comments during class usually made my day.

I had a classmate who looked like Mike Enriquez so much that he could double for the newsreader without their own mothers knowing it. We'll call him Pedro. Pedro was the third in his family to carry his father's name. So instead of "junior", his class card read "Pedro dela Cruz III".

Atty. S taught our Special Proceedings class. One fine day, Atty. S called out Pedro's name from the roll. Pedro stood up. Atty. S looked at Pedro and read his name again. Frowning, Atty. S says, "Ibig mong sabihin tatlo kayong ganyan?" It took a moment for the comment to sink in.

Despite his rudeness, I could say that Atty. S was well-liked by his students. Well, maybe except Pedro. So students would usually chat with Atty. S before or after class. Atty. S and I were shooting the breeze one afternoon when a girl from another section joined us. She said she just came from the photographers who set up shop downstairs for our yearbook, and she was visibly glad about the results. Without any warning, she shoves the prints at Atty. S, completely ignoring the fact that we were in the middle of a conversation. Atty. S looks at the picture. Nodding, he says, "Maganda ang kuha mo. Parang natutulog ka lang." The girl snatched the picture and walked out.

Last time I heard, Atty. S is going to be appointed to the Sandiganbayan. I hope to God I will never have to appear before him.

Pleaded by Appellant on Monday, August 29, 2005 @ 3:16 PM with 0 Objections